Recipe from Bauman College | Serves 2
1/2 Heritage Chicken, cut into pieces
1 tbs. ghee or grass-fed butter
Fresh ground pepper
10 crimini mushrooms, halved
4 medium shallots, peeled and cut in half
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/2 lemon, juiced
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Put a large cast-iron skillet on the stove over medium heat and allow to get hot. Add the ghee or grass-fed butter and add the heritage chicken, skin side down. Cook until the skin begins to crisp, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and rosemary to the pan. Put pan in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the mushrooms and shallots are soft and roasted.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken, shallots, and mushrooms on a serving plate.
6. Pour out all but 1 tbs. of the chicken fat and return the skillet to the stove top. Stir in stock and lemon juice and cook over medium heat, scraping up the bits on the bottom of the pan with a spoon. Cook the liquid down to a syrup, 3-5 minutes. Drizzle over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.