Recipe from Chef Jen Franco | Adapted from Daphne Oz | Serves 6
1 Heritage Chicken, cut into 8 pieces (saving wings for stock)
2 Tbs Olive Oil
2 Cups Panko
1 1/2 Tbs + 1/2 tsp Salt
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Tbs Paprika
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
½ tsp Ground Mustard
½ tsp Black Pepper
2 Eggs, Beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place a baking rack into a baking sheet.
2. Lightly coat the baking rack with olive oil to prevent sticking.
3. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add 2 Tbs olive oil. Swirl the oil in the skillet and then add the panko and ½ tsp salt. Stir continuously.
4. When the panko starts to brown and gives off a toasty aroma, after about 3-5 minutes, remove from heat and place panko in a medium bowl. Set aside.
5. In another medium bowl, combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, 1 ½ Tbs salt and pepper, stir to combine.
6. In a third medium bowl, add eggs and beat.
7. Set up bowls in this order: Flour, Eggs and Panko. Place your prepared baking sheet next to the panko.
8. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Coat chicken in egg and then in toasted panko. Place breaded chicken on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, check after 20 minutes. A thermometer should read 165ºF.