Thoughts from our customers.
"I have to say, this was the best chicken I have ever tasted in my life.
I roasted it with very little seasoning--wanted to taste the flavor of the bird."
Anthony | Emmer & Co. Community Member
"Excellent. The best tasting chicken in memory. We were also pleasantly surprised
by how rich and tasty the heritage chicken stock was."
Anonymous Feedback | Emmer & Co. Community Member
"I cooked a heritage chicken and it reminded me of my grand-mother!
A so good and healthy chicken!"
Sophie | Emmer & Co. Community Member
How much should I order?
- EMMER & CO. CHICKENS AVERAGE 3.25 POUNDS.
- Because our birds are raised naturally and allowed to be as active as they choose, they slightly vary in weight. We believe in giving our birds free will—over what they eat, how much they play, how often they run outside, and all other decisions a chicken would make on its own. Just like humans, some birds are more active or eat more than others, so no two chickens will be exactly the same.
- EACH CHICKEN FEEDS 2-4 PEOPLE.
- And the goodness can go far beyond one meal. We encourage you to get creative and resourceful with whatever's left, like making hearty sandwiches with leftover meat and rich stock with the flavorful bones.
- WHOLE BIRD ORDERS INCLUDE CHICKEN, NECK, AND GIBLETS.
How will my chicken arrive?
- DOORSTEP DELIVERY
- Your Emmer & Co. chicken will be shipped right to your doorstep. After consulting the best and brightest about packaging materials, cooling methods, optimum bird temperatures and delivery logistics, we settled on an eco-cooler and dry-ice method that keeps your meat safe and frozen.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY-FRIENDLY SHIPPING
- The best birds deserve the best delivery, and we're committed to making our shipping process as eco-friendly as possible. Our 100% wind-powered packaging center is completely run by clean, sustainable energy. By ordering from Emmer & Co., you've made the best decision for your health, chicken welfare, and planet earth.
- HOW TO OPEN YOUR SHIPMENT
- Inside your special Emmer & Co. cooler box, you'll find several empty bags that once held dry ice to keep your chicken frozen. Don't open the bags or touch anything inside them, and make sure to discard them safely.
When will my chicken arrive?
- All of Emmer & Co's chickens are 100% pasture raised in Northern California. Orders placed on our website are fulfilled through a Midwest hub, so that they can easily be shipped anywhere in the country.
- 1 DAY ZONES | 1 DAY SHIPPING
- Orders placed Monday-Wednesday will arrive the next business day. Orders placed Thursday-Sunday will ship the following Monday and arrive in one business day.
- 2 DAY ZONES | 2 DAY SHIPPING
- Orders placed Monday-Tuesday will arrive in two business days. Orders placed Wednesday-Sunday will ship the following Monday and arrive in two business days.
- 3 DAY ZONES | 3 DAY SHIPPING
- Orders placed on Monday will arrive in three business days. Orders placed Tuesday-Sunday will ship the following Monday and arrive in three business days.
Storage and defrosting
- STORING YOUR BIRD
- Your birds will be vacuum-sealed and ready to go straight into the freezer. Sealing them up after they've been air-chilled locks in the pure flavors of a fresh bird right off the prairie, so don't cut open the plastic until it's time to get cooking.
- HOW TO DEFROST SAFELY
Plan ahead: In your refrigerator
A typical frozen Emmer & Co. bird will take two full days to thaw in your refrigerator, so plan ahead. If there is still frost in the cavity, run the chicken under cold water and pat dry before cooking.
Quick thaw: Under cold water
This method is faster than refrigerator thawing, but you'll need to pay closer attention. Submerge your vacuum-sealed Emmer & Co. chicken in cold tap water, changing the water every 30 minutes. An average 3-4 pound bird should completely thaw in 2-3 hours.
After completely thawed, you should cook your bird within 2 days to maintain its freshness and quality.