How much should I order?
- ALL EMMER & CO. HERITAGE CHICKENS ARE BETWEEN 3-4 POUNDS.
- Because our birds are raised naturally and allowed to be as active as they choose, they slightly vary in weight. We believe in giving our birds free will—over what they eat, how much they play, how often they run outside, and all other decisions a chicken would make on its own. Just like humans, some birds are more active or eat more than others, so no two chickens will be exactly the same.
- EACH HERITAGE CHICKEN FEEDS 2-4 PEOPLE.
- And the goodness can go far beyond one meal. We encourage you to get creative and resourceful with whatever's left, like making hearty sandwiches with leftover meat and rich stock with the flavorful bones.
How will my chicken arrive?
- 2-3 DAY DOORSTEP DELIVERY
- Your Emmer & Co. chicken will arrive on your doorstep within 2-3 business days. Our lightning-quick delivery ensures absolute freshness and safety.
- SAFE, ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY PACKAGING
- After consulting the best and brightest about packaging materials, cooling methods, optimum bird temperatures and delivery logistics, we settled on an eco-cooler and dry-ice method that keeps your meat frozen while being shipped via any carrier.
- HOW TO OPEN YOUR SHIPMENT
- Inside your special Emmer & Co. cooler box, you'll find several empty bags that once held dry ice to keep your chicken frozen. Don't open the bags or touch anything inside them, and make sure to discard them safely.
- As of today, Emmer & Co. has a small number of partner farms, and raising these animals takes patience and TLC. Therefore, the availability of Emmer & Co. birds can be quite limited. If you see heritage chickens in stock on our site, we encourage you to order while they're around.
- Someday soon, these animals won't be so difficult to come by. As you support our company and our cause, we'll work together to build more barns and strengthen the populations of our breeds. By simply ordering your chickens from us, you'll be helping us rebuild the entire poultry industry.
Storage and defrosting
- STORING YOUR BIRD
- Your birds will be vacuum-sealed and ready to go straight into the freezer. Sealing them up after they've been air-chilled locks in the pure flavors of a fresh bird right off the prairie, so don't cut open the plastic until it's time to get cooking.
- HOW TO DEFROST SAFELY
Plan ahead: In your refrigerator
A typical frozen Emmer & Co. bird will take two full days to thaw in your refrigerator, so plan ahead. If there is still frost in the cavity, run the chicken under cold water and pat dry before cooking.
Quick thaw: Under cold water
This method is faster than refrigerator thawing, but you'll need to pay closer attention. Submerge your vacuum-sealed Emmer & Co. chicken in cold tap water, changing the water every 30 minutes. An average 3-4 pound bird should completely thaw in 2-3 hours.
After completely thawed, you should cook your bird within 2 days to maintain its freshness and quality.